Monday, December 7, 2009
Friday, December 4, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Saturday, November 7, 2009
I couldn't be more excited. I love this time of year. While I'll admit that it does seem a little early for the red cups to be coming out at Starbucks, I still get that excited, cozy feeling that Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner. With each year that goes by in my life, time seems to fly by faster and faster. When I was little, my brother and I would make Christmas countdown chains. It seemed to take forever to get to December. Now, I look at the calendar and wonder how it is already November. Last time I checked it seemed to still be summer. I'm not sure what the holidays will look like for the Newsome's this year. We still don't know Matt's schedule. He may be working for some, or all of the holidays. We might have to be flexible and have Christmas morning breakfast for dinner or open our presents on the 26th. We'll just have to see what happens...
Friday, November 6, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Even though Matt isn't willing to risk the germs he might contract from snuggling with me, I am so glad that I have my little buddy Zeke - the best snuggler. He has been keeping my company and helping my feel better in a way only a little furball can. He nuzzles right up to me and lays his head on my neck. Matt and I call it the fur scarf. It is warm, snuggly, and wonderful. I realize that this is the kind of thing I would think people were crazy for talking about. I mean, really... it's just a dog. But now that Zeke is part of our family, I can't help it. He's the best. I wish everyone could have a snuggle buddy like him.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Monday, August 31, 2009
Friday, August 28, 2009
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
You wouldn't know it from walking into our house right now, but we are moving in 2 weeks. Right now, everything looks the same around here, with the exception of a few boxes my friend next door has donated. I think the reason I haven't started packing yet is because I just want to enjoy our place the way it is for a little longer. We've only lived here for one year, but in that time it has become home. It will always be special to us because it was our first place together. We made it through the giant snowstorm this winter and the heat wave this summer. We made it through some great meals like Matt's chicken parmesan and some horrible meals like the tropical shrimp and rice disaster. We've had some really great times here and I am going to miss it...
- Our fabulous kitchen with all the brand-new appliances that were here when we moved in. I love all the counter space and the little "window" where I can look through to the living room while I'm cooking. I love how it's so pretty and bright on sunny mornings when I'm drinking my coffee and reading the paper.
- Our pretty hardwood floors. That was the first thing we noticed about this place when we looked at it a year ago. In fact, Matt asked our landlord where he bought the wood because we would love to use the same kind in our new place someday.
- Not having to worry about a yard/home maintenance. No longer will we have a landlord to call when things aren't working. We actually have to go out and buy a lawn mower for that nice big yard we are so excited about. Let's just say that our new yard has potential, but it needs work to look nice and pretty...
- Our monthly rent payment. As nice as it will be that the payments we will now make are going toward our own home and not our landlord, I am going to miss the nice, low rent that we have been paying. I know that first mortgage payment is not going to be fun...
- Being able to hear our neighbors through the walls...
- Collecting quarters for laundry and walking down to the end of our townhome complex to get to the washer and dryer.
- Living in the "not so nice" part of South Everett and our proximity to Casino Road.
- Vacuuming the stairs.
- Our neighbor's cigarette smoke smell.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Sunday, August 9, 2009
- Matt's new job: This is a big one. After a crazy process of tests, interviews, background checks and polygraphs, Matt was offered a job with the Seattle Police Department. He started the academy in February and graduated on June 24th - big day, very exciting... but really only the beginning... Since then, he has been doing more training with his department.
- Last night was his first night out on patrol with his new field training officer. The way I understand this part of the training is that it is kind of like student teaching was for me. You are doing everything as a real officer, but you are under the leadership of another, more experienced officer who is basically grading you the whole time. It is pretty nerve-wracking. We are jumping right into a crazy lifestyle change, too - night shift in the south precinct. It is about noon right now and Matt is sleeping. He got home at 5 in the morning. It was kind of tough last night trying to go to sleep without him. Luckily, in about a month he will get to try day shift in the east precinct with a different field training officer.
- As for my job, I am still searching for a permanent teaching position. I spent the last school year subbing in the Everett and Mukilteo districts and to my surprise, I loved it. It was really fun to teach a different class every day and to try out different grade levels. I finished up the school year with a great first grade class that I taught for two months while their teacher was on maternity leave. Having a long-term position at the end of the school year made me realize how much I want my own classroom again. Unfortunately, it is slim pickings for teaching jobs this year. I had an interview earlier this summer that didn't lead to a second interview :( It has been tough getting those "rejection" emails from some of the jobs I've applied to. It looks like I will start out the new school year as a sub again. I actually am really thankful that I can even sub again because most districts aren't even hiring new subs. Whew! Luckily I have already been hired as a sub in Everett and Mukilteo.
- The other big event for us is our new house! We have been looking for the past few months with our good friend and amazing realtor, Casey Price. We have seen some houses we've liked, but nothing that we loved. The advice we've gotten is that we will "just know" when we find the right house - and sure enough, it happened just like that. We had been looking in the North Seattle/Shoreline/Edmonds area and hadn't looked farther north. One day I saw a house online that looked cute, but it was in Everett. I thought it would probably be too far north for us, but I drove by anyway. I just fell in love with the neighborhood and called Matt right away. We looked at it with Casey later that week and just knew that this was a great house. We reached an agreement with the sellers on a good price and have been moving forward with the process of buying it! We are hoping to move in in early September. So excited!